King School Math Club
Hello 1st through 5th grade parents,
The Math Club is focused on building problem-solving skills and reinforcing math concepts. Students will apply math concepts that they have already learned at school to solving a wide variety of problems. We foster enthusiasm in math, help students build good work habit, and develop their creativity in problem solving. Any 1st to 5th grade student who enjoys math and seeks a challenge is welcome. Although there is no minimum requirement of math proficiency, the student must be able to focus and engage in math problem solving for our one-hour class.
The Math club will meet every week, at King School, starting mid-October. The day and time will be finalized depending on what works for majority of the coaches.
Volunteer parents will coach the kids using a variety of instruction formats, including guided discussion, small group work, informal contests, and other supplemental teaching methods.
Expectations for parents:
- Drop off/pick up kids promptly
- Parent volunteering is required. Parents will need to volunteer to coach, provide in class assistance to monitor student behavior during classes, make copies of the class materials, etc.
Math Kangaroo: This is an annual mathematical competition for students in grades 1 to 12. Top scorers, both at the state level and nationally, are awarded special prizes. Several King school students received awards last year. More details about the competition can be obtained from their website: www.mathkangaroo.org
- March 21st, 2019 for 1st to 5th graders. Anyone in the club is welcome, but not required to participate.
- There is a $20 fee for contest registration. Each registered student gets a T-shirt, a participation certificate and a special memento.
- Format: 24-30 multiple-choice questions in 75 minutes.
Please sign-up before September 24th:
Important Note: We currently do not have sufficient volunteers, across all grades, to coach the students. So please indicate in the registration form if you are available to coach. We will not be able to offer these sessions to grades, which do not have sufficient parent coaches.
Have questions? Email to:
1st/2nd/3rd/4th and 5th
Lakshmi Narayanaswamy- [email protected]
The King School Math Coaches